Skip to main content

Resources for begining recurve archery

I took up archery with instruction books, rather than an instructor. Time will tell if that was smart. I read a lot of stuff from websites and some from books. In the UMD library I could not find an archery book more recent than some time in the 1970s ! I guess UMD is not big into archery!

I read the following books:

"Shooting the Bow", Larry C. Whiffen, The Bruce Publishing Co, Milwaukee 1946.
This is an instructional book with charming mid-20th century black and white pictures written in a charming and humorous mid-20th century style. It has hand illustrations for stance, grip etc. It has a one page chapter about correcting errors.

"Archery", Lorraine Pszczola, W.B. Saunders Co, 1976
This is meant as an instructional booklet for college/school archery programmes. Filled with illustrations about stance, and grip etc.

"Archery for beginners", John C. Williams, Contemporary Books, 1976
This was the one I referred to the most. The archers in bellbottoms are a hoot. It also uses the words "sexy" and "groove". A true 70s book. It has some good advice about correcting errors.

My favorite book of these three is Williams' book because the advice on stance, grip and release are very well described and illustrated with photographs. Williams also explains the mechanics behind it all, which makes his writing more aesthetically pleasing foe me.

It helped me to read several books because there were differences in the material and advice, and I picked out those things that struck me as useful, or that helped me. There was contradictory advice about stance and grip, which illustrated to me that there is not ONE way to shoot an arrow!

Mostly it was the illustration and pictures that helped me from the books. A lot of text about archery is available on the web. Unfortunately a lot of the websites don't have pictures, so that's where you have to refer to the books.

Some websites that I find useful are:


Oh, and here are some things I found useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop