Skip to main content

Don't use 'type' as a field in a Rails database

I'm working on a new rails application. In one of the tables I have a field called 'type'. Everything was going fine, but whenever I set the 'type' field and saved the record it ignored the contents and set it to NULL. I couldn't figure it out.

Tangentially, I had set a bunch of fields to be 'string' and these are translated to be varchar(255) in the sqlite database and I wanted to test what happened if I went over the 255 character limit. So I typed in a string 260 characters long into the 'type' field using an external database app and saved the record. It saved just fine, and kept all the characters. Now I thought, let me load this in my rails app and see if it still sets it to NULL. I loaded it and got back this error message:


ActiveRecord::SubclassNotFound in ItemsController#show

The single-table inheritance mechanism failed to locate the subclass: 'abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0'. This error is raised because the column 'type' is reserved for storing the class in case of inheritance. Please rename this column if you didn't intend it to be used for storing the inheritance class or overwrite Item.inheritance_column to use another column for that information.


Now they tell us !

Convention : good.
Informative error messages : good.
Not telling us what the convention is : bad

Bad Rails people, bad rails people.

To peek into the database I'm using the Sqlite manager plugin for firefox by Mrinal Kant. Its awesome.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop