A computer got infected with this. It pretends that your computer is infected with x amount of spyware/malware and you have to get the registered version to remove the (fake) malware. From the page here the steps to getting rid of this annoyance are:
- Type Ctrl/Shift/Escape to bring up the task manager (or right click on the task bar).
- Kill the ave.exe process. The popups will disappear. Leave the task scheduler up.[NOTE: you can use procexp too]
- Type Windows/R (to get the Run box) and type regedit and OK.
- Ave.exe will start again, just do step #2 again.
[Note: Be careful with regedit. If you are not familiar with it, use other solutions for this infection]
- In Regedit, go to HKCR\.exe\shell\open\command. You will see something like this for (default):
"C:\Documents and Settings\[your account]\Local Settings\Application Data\ave.exe" /START "%1" %*
- Modify the value to be:
- Do the same with HKCR\secfile\shell\open\command.
- Delete ave.exe from the location in step 5. [NOTE: I could just not find this program]
At this point, you have control back and no more popups.
- Download the current version of Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and run it.
- Choose to fix the items the scan found.
- Run a scan of your regular anit-virus program.