Skip to main content

Using -1 to indicate "upto the end"

I was writing some code in Python to read a binary file, extract packets of information and write out subsets of information to different files.

The code was, in essence, this:

def func(f, max_packets=-1,buffer_len=100):
    if buffer_len < max_packets:
       buffer_len = max_packets
    d = f.read(buffer_len)
    while len(d):
       #Process
       d = f.read(buffer_len)


There was a bunch of other code in between the buffer_len adjustment and the loop, and I wasn't doing a direct read but using numpy.fromfile.

Anyway, basically when I wanted to read the whole file I would put in max_packets=-1. This would make buffer_len=-1. This would in turn try to read in the whole file into memory causing a segfault (sometimes I would get an out of memory error, which was more informative)

This bug took me several hours to track down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop