Skip to main content

Simple sketching using a track pad.

I like to illustrate text with sketches. I think there are many instances when it is easier and quicker to convey ideas. I used to think that I need a graphics tablet for this. Previously I would sketch with pen and paper and then scan the drawing. This added an extra step, was a motivation barrier and was not as flexible has doing things digitally (where you can delete/edit stuff without having to start all over again). I tried a bit with the mouse, but found it very unwieldy.

Recently, however, I have discovered that for the simple line sketches I do a track pad works surprisingly better than I expected. I used Inkscape and the laptop track pad to do the sketch below. I can totally see how a real sketch artist who is interested in effectively using line weight/thickness to convey information will find this method unimpressive, and in the end I do envision buying a graphics tablet, but for now I will keep practicing with the track pad.

I think the track pad works well for me because it is a bit like finger painting and I can control my finger tip more finely than I can control a whole mouse, which has inertia and makes it difficult for me to do fast movements.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop