Skip to main content

DSLR vs compacts/micro four thirds

I'm what the marketing department at camera companies call an 'enthusiast'. Previously I would be called an amateur, but I guess 'enthusiast' doesn't have the stigma of 'clueless' that amateur now has. I don't make money of photos and I take photos for pleasure and for memories.

I bought my DSLR when DSLR prices were plunging off a cliff, that is after all the professionals had subsidized sensor and lens development. I bought the D40. I got a DSLR for the following characteristics:
  1. Low shutter lag. This was probably the biggest deal for me. I like to capture the fleeting expressions on human faces and the compact was very frustrating with the long lag between focusing and then taking the picture.
  2. Good low light performance. The D40 works just fine for me upto 1600 ISO. ISO 3200 is very noisy and adding a nice prime lens that goes out to f1.8 added a lot of artistic scope and improved low light performance.
The downside of even a small DSLR like the D40 is that it is large and conspicuous and not that quick to whip out when you need it.

This has turned my attention to the micro four thirds family. The larger sensor sizes are a great step up from compacts, but the form factors are so small! They also have interchangeable lenses.

Shutter lag is still a concern, but one thing I realised after using the D40 is that in low light (when a lot of my people portraits are done, round dinner tables and indoors) I have a long effective shutter lag because the focusing in low light is an issue.

What I depend a lot on in such situations is to focus on a sharp edge and then shoot a burst. Instead of waiting for the right moment, I estimate when the moment is going to come up and then hope that one of the images in the burst will carry the hidden expression.

The new 4/3 cameras I am seeing do bursts, do better ISO than the D40, are smaller/lighter AND they do movies, so I'm pretty sure my next camera is not going to be the D5100 (I was waiting for the price to drop steeply, or to find a refurbed one) but rather one of the 4/3s family.

UPDATE: I just found Thom Hogan's guide to m4/3. The guide is very useful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop