Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Another reason to love PyCharm

The latest version of PyCharm can run the pep8.py tool on your code to flag coding style violations on the fly. I thought this was cool, but it can be annoying sometimes. This is because pep8 consists of coding guidelines and some of them are a matter of taste. My personal quirk is that I like to use 2 spaces for indents instead of 4. 

When I turn on PyCharm’s pep8 checking all my code gets underlined because I’m using two spaces for indents. However, I discovered that under Preferences->Inspections->PEP 8 Coding style violation and there is a properties list labelled “Ignore” where you can type in pep8 violations to be ignored.

UPDATE: From this very informative post here and a response from one of PyCharm's programmers there: Go to the error, click on the light bulb icon and then select 'Ignore errors like this'. This will automatically add a proper exception to this list. For those interested the list of error codes is here.

I typed in ‘indentation’ and was delighted to note that this made those annoying flags disappear (This should not have worked). Also, you can change the severity of the violation flag - I changed it from warning to typo, which is less visually distracting.

No comments:

Post a Comment