Skip to main content

Life insurance = sleaze

I get auto and home insurance from a particular company. I like the company because of their reasonable premiums and decent customer service. I recently decided to add on life insurance. Naturally, I went to my existing insurance company. Instead of dealing with the central office, I was sent to an 'agent'. "The agent writes the policy" was what I was told. This turned out to be significant later.
So I got on the phone with the agent. The agent spent a lot of time with me. I think I wasted about 30min on that call. I got NO useful information and got the distinct feeling the agent was trying to ingratiate with me, asking me about my family, name of my children ("Oh, those are beautiful names!"). And the rates quoted were much, much higher than that on the website ("This is the cadillac plan.). This was a completely different experience for me, from when I bought their other products.
After the call I did a web search for life insurance. I found some interesting things that I had never considered. Life insurance is a very different beast compared to auto or home or any other kind of hazard insurance. I think the product in my head when I thought about getting life insurance is what the companies call "Term life insurance". You pay a fixed premium for a fixed number of years (10,20 or 30) and if you die before the term your beneficiary gets the money (unless they weasel out of it, which is another can of worms)
The very fact that companies bundle investment products in with life insurance is an indication of the amount of misdirection involved. I suppose that this is due to the fact that there is no law requiring you to have life insurance (Law requires you to drive insured, and mortgage lenders require insurance on the house). This means that companies have to push harder to get people to buy it (especially since no one plans on dying) and they sweeten the deal by adding in an investment component
The investment component gives a lower return than a comparable straight investment, probably because it's a misdirection. The advice that I read, and made sense to me, was to buy term life insurance and invest separately. The complexity in the other products hides the fact that you are, effectively, paying more for your insurance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop