Skip to main content

Life insurance = sleaze

I get auto and home insurance from a particular company. I like the company because of their reasonable premiums and decent customer service. I recently decided to add on life insurance. Naturally, I went to my existing insurance company. Instead of dealing with the central office, I was sent to an 'agent'. "The agent writes the policy" was what I was told. This turned out to be significant later.
So I got on the phone with the agent. The agent spent a lot of time with me. I think I wasted about 30min on that call. I got NO useful information and got the distinct feeling the agent was trying to ingratiate with me, asking me about my family, name of my children ("Oh, those are beautiful names!"). And the rates quoted were much, much higher than that on the website ("This is the cadillac plan.). This was a completely different experience for me, from when I bought their other products.
After the call I did a web search for life insurance. I found some interesting things that I had never considered. Life insurance is a very different beast compared to auto or home or any other kind of hazard insurance. I think the product in my head when I thought about getting life insurance is what the companies call "Term life insurance". You pay a fixed premium for a fixed number of years (10,20 or 30) and if you die before the term your beneficiary gets the money (unless they weasel out of it, which is another can of worms)
The very fact that companies bundle investment products in with life insurance is an indication of the amount of misdirection involved. I suppose that this is due to the fact that there is no law requiring you to have life insurance (Law requires you to drive insured, and mortgage lenders require insurance on the house). This means that companies have to push harder to get people to buy it (especially since no one plans on dying) and they sweeten the deal by adding in an investment component
The investment component gives a lower return than a comparable straight investment, probably because it's a misdirection. The advice that I read, and made sense to me, was to buy term life insurance and invest separately. The complexity in the other products hides the fact that you are, effectively, paying more for your insurance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowing text in inkscape (Poster making)

You can flow text into arbitrary shapes in inkscape. (From a hint here).

You simply create a text box, type your text into it, create a frame with some drawing tool, select both the text box and the frame (click and shift) and then go to text->flow into frame.

UPDATE:

The omnipresent anonymous asked:
Trying to enter sentence so that text forms the number three...any ideas?
The solution:
Type '3' using the text toolConvert to path using object->pathSize as necessaryRemove fillUngroupType in actual text in new text boxSelect the text and the '3' pathFlow the text

Drawing circles using matplotlib

Use the pylab.Circle command

import pylab #Imports matplotlib and a host of other useful modules cir1 = pylab.Circle((0,0), radius=0.75, fc='y') #Creates a patch that looks like a circle (fc= face color) cir2 = pylab.Circle((.5,.5), radius=0.25, alpha =.2, fc='b') #Repeat (alpha=.2 means make it very translucent) ax = pylab.axes(aspect=1) #Creates empty axes (aspect=1 means scale things so that circles look like circles) ax.add_patch(cir1) #Grab the current axes, add the patch to it ax.add_patch(cir2) #Repeat pylab.show()

Pandas panel = collection of tables/data frames aligned by index and column

Pandas panel provides a nice way to collect related data frames together while maintaining correspondence between the index and column values:


import pandas as pd, pylab #Full dimensions of a slice of our panel index = ['1','2','3','4'] #major_index columns = ['a','b','c'] #minor_index df = pd.DataFrame(pylab.randn(4,3),columns=columns,index=index) #A full slice of the panel df2 = pd.DataFrame(pylab.randn(3,2),columns=['a','c'],index=['1','3','4']) #A partial slice df3 = pd.DataFrame(pylab.randn(2,2),columns=['a','b'],index=['2','4']) #Another partial slice df4 = pd.DataFrame(pylab.randn(2,2),columns=['d','e'],index=['5','6']) #Partial slice with a new column and index pn = pd.Panel({'A': df}) pn['B'] = df2 pn['C'] = df3 pn['D'] = df4 for key in pn.items: print pn[key] -> output …