Skip to main content

Python - Click

Python excels at making it quick and simple to convert your one-off scripts (or so you thought) into easy to use command line driven programs. The package that made me fall in love with this process was docopt (my notes here, here and here).

A year after I started to use docopts a colleague (two colleagues actually) introduced me to the Python click package. I was initially reluctant to migrate an existing code base to docopt, but I decided to give it a spin and have not looked back.

There was a recent post comparing argparse, docopt and click shared by another colleague, perhaps prompted by an internal debate about the merits of the different options available.

One thing that gets missed in these comparisons is more specific and complicated use cases. I just found a simple, specific use case where Click blows the other two away in terms of managing complexity and improving readability:

My application requires me to pass in key, value pairs in the command line that serve as metadata for a system. The keys for the metadata are constrained to come from a predefined list. Now, how would you do this in argparse? In docopts?

In click, it's very, very straightforward.

import click
keys = ['key1', 'key2', 'key3']
@click.command()
@click.option('--meta', multiple=True, type=(click.Choice(keys), str), help='Metadata')
def cli(meta):
  """Print the supplied metadata values"""
  print meta

This code will validate the metadata keys, will accept multiple entries for --meta and will present you with a list of tuples. It is very terse and very maintainable.

In this respect, I think Click is very far in advance of the other Python packages available for constructing commmand line interfaces.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop