Skip to main content

Archery

I took up archery recently, and I have really gotten into it. I've added some archery related links on the blog.

I started out cheap, since I was interested in it enough to want to buy equipment, but I didn't know if it would be a hobby that would stick.

No-brand fibreglass recurve bow 60", 30-35# pull at 28" -- $50 (esportsonline)

Shooting glove -- $10
Quiver -- $10
Arm guard -- $10
6 carbon express thunderstorm arrows -- $34
Points 75gr and 125gr - $12 total - (all from Basspro)

Total approx $125

The closest basspro shop did not carry cheap recurves (they were all selfbows, and looked very nice and something you would hang over your fireplace and cost something like $500). They carried a lot of compounds, and a few recurves for children (54" high and 9lbs draw). I found more stuff online.

Basspro is fine for most things and esportsonline service is fine.

The no-name recurve bow I got is an OK starter. It's a generic kind of ambidextrous bow that you are likely to find in a number of places. The arrows I got have spines for bows from 30-50#. They are mangled by the bow. The fletching brushes past the riser (Its NOT centershot, because of the ambidextrous design) and two vanes have picked up a black coat from the riser. Those vanes have also been damaged a bit by this brush past.
Other than this, I would say the bow is OK. My shots arn't consistent, and I can't say if that if my form or the bows fault.

If anyone is looking for a decent starter bow I would recommend looking for a center shot one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop