Skip to main content

Rails : Where to put what

I'm trying to clean up Rriki. Yes, this is procrastination and I should do my research, but clean code looks soooo nice !

Any way, I'm trying to program the rails way (some mumbo jumbo about MVC and DRY). For Rriki's 'sources' (storage for research articles, books etc.) I have a certain amount of processing that I have to do - I export the table data to BibTeX so I can use it with LaTeX, I import publication data from pubmed, and I write to auxiliary databases such as for bibus.

Currently code for this is placed in the model, in the controller and in sources_helper. But I have learned that this is not the true way. The proper coding etiquette is as follows
  1. Thin controllers : put as much of your logic in the model as possible and keep the controller slim and trim. Ideally, you should be able to glance at a controller method and figure out what information it grabs. [Jamis Buck]
  2. Fat models : Most of the logic will be about fetching, manipulating and parsing model data. So this IS the model's business.
  3. Use layouts : its a bit like css for rhtml
  4. Slim views : resist the temptation to write ruby code in rhtml - use a helper
  5. Fat helpers : move involved view code from views and controllers into helpers
Also see what goes where [Slash7].

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A note on Python's __exit__() and errors

Python's context managers are a very neat way of handling code that needs a teardown once you are done. Python objects have do have a destructor method ( __del__ ) called right before the last instance of the object is about to be destroyed. You can do a teardown there. However there is a lot of fine print to the __del__ method. A cleaner way of doing tear-downs is through Python's context manager , manifested as the with keyword. class CrushMe: def __init__(self): self.f = open('test.txt', 'w') def foo(self, a, b): self.f.write(str(a - b)) def __enter__(self): return self def __exit__(self, exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb): self.f.close() return True with CrushMe() as c: c.foo(2, 3) One thing that is important, and that got me just now, is error handling. I made the mistake of ignoring all those 'junk' arguments ( exc_type, exc_val, exc_tb ). I just skimmed the docs and what popped out is that you need to return True or

Using adminer on Mac OS X

adminer is a nice php based sqlite manager. I prefer the firefox plugin "sqlite manager" but it currently has a strange issue with FF5 that basically makes it unworkable, so I was looking for an alternative to tide me over. I really don't want apache running all the time on my computer and don't want people browsing to my computer, so what I needed to do was: Download the adminer php script into /Library/WebServer/Documents/ Change /etc/apache2/httpd.conf to allow running of php scripts (uncomment the line that begins: LoadModule php5_module Start the apache server: sudo apachectl -k start Operate the script by going to localhost Stop the server: sudo apachectl -k stop